Firstly, no, I’m not being paid for this post :) but I have been a member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) since 2007 and I am a member of the CIM East of England Committee, so yes I am a fan!
The Chartered Institute of Marketing provides marketing support, resources and training for anyone interested in the marketing profession; from students to senior marketers and business owners.
Marketing is an increasingly competitive sector and anything you can do to make yourself stand out among the competition will help. Within our current social media driven culture, credibility and trust count as key differentiators, and CIM goes a long way in providing credibility to its members.
So whether you’re a budding business owner or marketer, here are 4 reasons to join:
1. Marketing knowledge
- Professional training from some of the best marketing practitioners in the world – people that do marketing for a living not just teach it!
- The Marketer Magazine is one of the best marketing magazines in the UK with great editorial content and news on latest trends
2. Marketing resources
- Access to the latest market reports and case studies
- A comprehensive collection of practical and informative guides and templates to support you. Everything from strategic planning templates to guides on implementing marketing programmes and measuring success.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing gives you a platform to meet, share and network with other business owners and marketers in similar situations to you.
4. Continuing professional development (CPD) programme
Marketing evolves at such a rapid rate that if you want to remain relevant you have no choice but to continue learning. The CIM CPD programme ensures that your marketing knowledge is current and up-to-date.
CPD ultimately leads to Chartered Marketer Status.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing has given me a rounded marketing education and a depth of knowledge that is increasingly scarce. A lot of people think marketing begins and ends with social media and digital marketing, although these are an increasingly large piece of the marketing pie, they are definitely not the be-all and end-all.
The CIM will give you a solid marketing foundation on which to build all your marketing endeavours
The CPD programme helped me keep my skills sharp even when my job had stagnated and there was no longer any room for growth.
If the above appeals then look into joining the CIM.
Other marketing organisations and resources I recommend are:
- B2B Marketing
- Content Marketing Institute
- Smart Insights (everything email/digital marketing related)
- Occom’s Razor – Avinash Kaushik (everything Web Analytics)