Yes you read right! According to Lloyds Bank UK Business Digital Index 2014:
“Only 50% have a website and on the whole, those that do are only providing basic functionality.”
If you are are one of the 50% without a website then this post is for you. I won’t bore you with all the reasons why you should be online, suffice to say that the UK is the most active eCommerce market in Europe and there are 1.2 billion potential customers online, including your competitors.
Despite this 29% of SMEs and charities still believe being online isn’t relevant to their business. In actual fact the internet is the number one global resource for finding information and sourcing suppliers. Believe it or not people are searching for your very business online, the only thing is you’re not there! So in this post I wanted to tell you about 3 easy and cost effective ways to get online fast.
1. Social Media Page
If you’re not ready for you’re own website yet then dip your toe in the water with a Facebook page these are easy and free to set-up. Here’s 5 top tips for creating an effective page:
- Customise your page e.g. take advantage of the vanity url, use apps and custom tabs
- Keep your page current with news, company info, offers etc.
- Engage, engage and engage some more - people buy from people so share your personality and update your page often
- Use multi-media – posts that include images and video receive a lot more engagement than those without
- Advertise – your own posts and updates will only get you so far, it’s work running some cost-effective ad campaigns, to boost traffic, especially if your page is new
2. Website Builder
A website builder is essentially an easy to use control panel that allows you to build a professional website yourself, prices start from free to about £30 per month. The 1&1 website builder for example is currently available for £0.99/month and offers:
- Quick creation – drag and drop functionality to change layout, pictures and add apps
- Industry specific text and images, plus functionality based on your industry
- Advanced functionality with 140 drag and drop web apps such as slideshare, shopping apps, contact forms, eCommerce apps and more
3. Host a WordPress site (like this one)
You can purchase web hosting (the service providing space on the Internet for websites) and then build a WordPress site yourself in a few easy steps.
WordPress is the number one content management system in the world with more than 73 million websites globally. WordPress usage is growing fast. Approximately 20% of existing websites are built with WordPress
I’m a big fan, this blog is a WordPress site which I created myself within a couple of hours with no previous experience or knowledge of website design.
There is no need to go without a website, all three options mentioned above can be created yourself, for a few pounds a month within a few hours. It’s literally that easy to get online and join the millions of businesses on the web benefiting from online success.
I spoke on this topic in more depth at The Business Show last month take a look at the video below for more tips and insights.
If you need help with any of the options mentioned above give me a shout and I’ll be happy to assist.